Gear Nirvana

In the past 9 months, I've sold a lot of gear and made a few carefully researched and selected purchases that have made me realize I've hit my own personal nirvana... my ideal studio tools. All of these four items have instantly become " from my cold dead hands" status in my studio.

Guitar Rig 4.0

The first was to replace most of my massive, expanding and ridiculously hard to control guitar rig with one fundamental piece. The Line 6 Helix Rack and Control.
I still have my Soldano preamp, VHT 2/50/2 power amp and 2x12 Mesa Roadking - as a real, live, tube-powered, bone shaking amp - in the spirit of tradition and raw power. But the Helix is a different beast. The preamp/amp/cabinet/mic simulations are perfect for recording. The effects are fantastic. And programming it is actually exciting!
I did an AB test with my Soldano SP-77 and the SLO preamp (Solo Lead Crunch) in the Helix, using an expression pedal two sweep between them. Then I got someone else to sweep from the SP-77 to the Helix model at random while I played blindfolded. Line 6's model is perfect. From the overall tone and gain harmonics, right down to the way it breaks up when you turn the guitar volume down near 1-2. It's basically indistinguishable from the real thing. If it were not for the nostalgia and my love for the pink anodized box, I'd sell it.

Re-thinking Synthesizers

The Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard and Clavia Nord Lead 2X I've been using for the past few years are great synthesizers. But two things were bothering me. The new synth from Propellerheads called Europa can do nearly everything the Blofeld can do, it sounds just as good, it's interface is much easier to program with, and best of all it's included in my DAW software - not a $1000 keyboard. Now that Ive sold it, the thing I miss the most about it is the amazing key bed - which is not worth the price I sold it for. The Nord approximates an analog synth very well, the controls are great. But it's just not enough. The bass tends to lose edge and impact. It's just not fat and warm.
I started by buying a Moog SubSequent37.
First impression - the best built synthesizer I've ever played. From the feel of the knobs, to the craftsmanship of the case. Engineered to perfection.
Even the software editor is better than most actual softsynths.
As for sound... It is truly FAT.
I forgot how analog feels.
The oscillators and filter are amazing. The signal path, modulation possibilities and drive characteristics are insane. It is duophonic, but put simply - it is everything I've dreamed of in a mono synth.
It's basically - "end of the road" mono-synth for me. The last one.
This is where I started thinking, if this is what a really good analog does for a mono synth, then maybe I should get rid of the Nord and get a real analog poly synth.
Dave Smith Sequential Prophet 6.
My synth end game.
I really missed by original Sequential Circuits Prophet 600. The Nord could approximate a bit of that Prophet sound, but it's missing a soul.
The Prophet 6 is six voices of perfection. The oscillators are amazing, the filters are amazing, the envelopes are amazing. Even though it only has one LFO and the PolyMod, it just feels so much deeper than instruments with two to three times the modulation capabilities.
Even the dual digital effects are amazing. And for the analog purist, they are only mixed into the synth's analog signal path.
The build quality is a work of art - right down to the walnut trim, and the way the panel opens to see the fine work of modern engineering Dave Smith crafted inside.

Effects Processing for Perfectionists

Three days before David Bowie passed away, I procured my first Eventide Harmonizer. A real Eventide DSP4000 Rack. It blew my mind so much, I jumped on the chance to get an Eventide Eclipse as well. Both are fantastic devices with stunning universes to explore with guitars, synths, drums and vocals.
When an opportunity arose last week to buy an H8000FW, for roughly the selling price of the two Eventides I currently own - I couldn't refuse.
Thousands of programs, two massive processor cores running my audio at 96Khz - 24-bits, with 4 channels in and out via using ADAT litepipe. It is the extension of my DAW, the sole effects processing core of my studio.
It has the most amazing clarity and depth. I have numerous plug-in effects that can technically do what the H8000 can do, but when I do AB tests, there is something far more complex and dynamic about the Eventide hardware and their algorithms. It just makes sound that is larger and beyond reality... dare I say that it "fucks with the fabric of time"?

In or Out of the Box

While some things can be modelled and simulated in the computer, there are some reasons for going out of the box,  either completely, or partially - and conversely, there are some instances where the modelled simulation has more value than the original equipment.
In the case of the Helix, it has taken the pain out of recording loud amps - not to mention storage and cost of owning all of that gear. And Line 6 has done it in a way that there is still some physical box and foot controller that feels like using the real equipment. The Helix hasn't lost any of the ergonomics of the original equipment, unlike a software only-option, and provides equivalent sonic integrity.
While there are many fine virtual instrument simulations of analog synthesizers, arguably, there is something magical about the real thing. Having a real physical interface to program with, rather than a mouse, or a generic MIDI controller, is a major reason to go out of the box. This is where the value of the real device cannot be replaced by a solution on the computer.
My perceived superiority of the H8000 versus software may be questionable. It may be argued that an algorithm is an algorithm, and it may be irrelevant whether its on a computer or dedicated hardware.
But there is one more practical value - it removes the need for compute power in my DAW to do these processing tasks. The next logical step to this principal is to get a Universal Audio Apollo interface, which extends this paradigm of outsourcing signal processing even further.

A few Criticisms

I only have three complaints about the new gear - The Helix lacks signal metering; The Prophet 6 MIDI implementation is flawed; and Eventide's VSig programming environment for the H8000FW is only available on Windows.
The Helix' visual interface and controls are incredibly ergonomic save for one thing - the only way to tell if any signal is passing through it is to turn on the tuner, and the only visual feedback device is a flashing light showing tempo. For a piece of gear this advanced - not to mention this expensive - there should be visual indicators of signals everywhere. A level meter on every block; a gain reduction meter on every compressor block; gate lights on noise gates and envelope detectors; pulsing lights on oscillators in modulation blocks showing LFO speed. The last few OS updates added amps and effects - I hope they come to their senses soon.
The Prophet 6 Local MIDI setting is an all or nothing affair. You can either use the synth as a standalone instrument, or relinquish the whole device to being controlled via remote (DAW, MIDI controller). The DAW I use doesn't support NRPN, so if I turn of local MIDI, I can only play the keys. NOTHING ELSE. If I could be so bold to tell Dave Smith, the pioneer of MIDI, to review how Moog did the MIDI implementation on the SubSequent 37. Totally perfect. Options to individually set if the synth receives Keys, Wheels and Panel; and is sending Keys Wheels and Panel. The Prophet should be the centrepiece of my studio, with the ability to play all other devices.
The fact that the H8000 is basically the Lamborghini of signal processors, it's horribly disappointing that they do not have a remote editor to change Programs and Parameters, (versus working directly on the screen), and nearly as bad that the advanced algorithm programming app, VSig, is only supported on Windows. I have an older beta Mac copy of VSig (found on the web, not supported by Eventide), but it unfortunately can't communicate via MIDI, so I'm hoping to test a USB to RS422 serial adapter so I can write some algorithms.
I've owned the Moog for three months now. I have nothing to complain about. Congratulations Moog, The SubSequent 37 is a work of art.




Comments