The new Stereo Power Amp: VHT 2/50/2

This all started with two things.
Firstly, I wanted a tube-powered amp to replace my ADA B200S.
But the second thing sent my on a rampage to find that replacement. A used Mesa/Boogie Stereo Simul-Class 295 power amp came up for sale locally, along with it's companion, the Mesa/Boogie Quad Preamp. They were in excellent cosmetic condition, but had a serious number of problems. I had wanted this set since I was 17, but once I fired up one channel of the 295 into a 4x12 cabinet, I realized it was just way too loud and uncontrollable for my studio. The Quad was also just too close to my Express 5:50+ head, and I really wasn't getting the itch for another Mesa preamp.
This led me to dig deeper to find the alternatives. Mesa 50/50 was an option. Then I thought about that legendary combination of preamps and power amps - Bogner and Soldanos - powered by the VHT 2150. I never really knew much about the VHT. After a few days of research, a VHT just happened to hit my radar. It was local, it was mint, it was the right power, and best of all - I could afford it. Two channels of EL34-power, Class A and Class A/B selectable, and a very nice set of tone shaping tools.

Comments