Guitar Rig 3.1


After some careful consideration and oodles of time spent tweaking, I've come to some conclusions on the equipment in my rig. Some of the units I've acquired are just not hitting the target. Going from where I left off in Guitar Rig 3.0, I had to retire some of the assets, either by outright sale, or just putting them away.
One of the issues was adding and removing elements from the signal chain. I'm still looking to build out the switching system, but I stopped myself when I considered how large and complex the system was getting in needing to control many devices that each had only a simple, singular purpose - or were just mediocre for my purposes.

Retirement

The Korg A3 was cool - the interface and controls are intuitive and elegant - but it just lacked the quality I wanted for effects.  It also didn't play well with other effects. It was a great unit for it's time, but would be better suited to someone who was making this the centrepiece of their sound.
The TC Electronics M350 has a few problems. It's basically two simple pedals jammed in a rack case with MIDI automation; very basic controls, and the effects just sound lame. Apologies to anyone who likes TC's reverbs, but they're just not my thing.
The other item that has always just been a placeholder until something better came into my life, was the ADA B200S Stereo Power Amp. Good amp, just lacks that "something" that you get with tubes.
Along with a general house cleaning of my studio, and selling off a lot of instruments I don't use, I actually acquired a few new pieces that are keepers.

Goals

There are three things I want to find:

  • A powerful multi-effects processor. Preferably with Lexicon reverbs.
  • A purist's hi-gain tube preamp - similar to the A/DA MP-2 in quality and construction, but on the opposite end of the complexity spectrum;
  • A stereo tube power amp - preferably around 20-50 watts per channel.

And none of these items can be pedals... only rack-mountable devices from now on.

Comments