Review: Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

I always wanted a Jazz Bass.
Back when I got my Fender MIM Precision, I always resented it, because I wanted a Jazz deep down in my heart. The slim neck. The rich tone of those two pickups blending the slight phase differences obtained by their locations. The elegant body style that just looks like it's going fast.
And most of all - I wanted a maple fretboard.
The decision finally came to give up my Ibanez 5-string and seek out a Jazz Bass that wouldn't break the bank.
So here was my plan. Fender has a Squier Jazz Bass that fits my desired specification. Maple fretboard - even better with the black binding and block inlay. Comes in Olympic white.
But there was only one problem... it was a Squier.
My first Stratocaster was a Squier - and it was great. But since then, I've experienced numerous horrific failures under the Squier name. Strats with cheap neck finishes. Poor wood selection for both maple and rosewood pieces. Pickguards that don't fit right. And just general fit and finish that exuded "cheap".
So I went to Long & McQuade and tried out this Squier. For under $300, I was astonished how nice it felt. It played wonderfully. While the first one I tried had a very ugly grain to the maple, the Olympic white one that I bought had a gorgeous maple to the neck and headstock. After some action and relief adjustments - it plays smooth as silk with minimal buzz. It only had one problem, that could easily be rectified.
With both pickups at full volume they acted like a humbucker and cancelled noise. Once you dropped one pickup volume to 9 or less, it hummed like that single coil hum we all know and drove me nuts. In addition to that, the pickups just sounded flat and lifeless.
When purchasing the bass, my salesman asked, "Do you want the extended warranty?"- to which I replied, "Hell no man! I am going to gut the pickups on this thing immediately."
The next day I bought a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups, and installed them that night.
What a difference - the output is bold and full of energy, but still true to that authentic jazz tone. And being a humbucking pickup, there is zero noise to be heard. You can't even tell if the volume knobs are on or off.
End result - a Jazz Bass worthy of a better logo on the headstock.
I've gone back to my dealer to test out Mexican-made and American Standard Jazz basses, and I wouldn't trade my Squier for them now. Especially when you consider I only paid around $450, and it looks, feels and sounds so good.
And the coolest thing - now I have the Fender brother and sister duo - a Black and Rosewood Precision and his sister, the White and Maple Jazz.

Comments