My Roland V-Drum Kit

If you read my article on the Roland TD-11 module, then you know where this article started from. The end result of my strategy to build a V-Drums kit resulted in this. So here is my kit, with notes on the components and some ideas I have.

The Grand Plan

The idea I had was to create a V-Drums kit that would allow me to design/model and play interesting, authentic-sounding drum kits - from John Bonham's Ludwig's in "When the Levee Breaks", to Stuart Copeland's Tama kit, to a Gretsch jazz kit. I am very focussed on the core of the drum kit - the Kick, Snare and Hi-hats. For the snare I already had a PD-105 - a a 10" mesh head drum that I love.  I just couldn't settle with a cymbal trigger and foot controller for the Hi-Hats - I needed a real V-Hat with a Hi-Hat stand. And the cymbals needed to respond. I even considered Zildjian's Gen16 system, but from the testing I did, and the relatively high ambient volume of them, I stuck with Roland's cymbal pads.
So the plan is to have a Roland TD-11 kit, but almost totally upgraded beyond the TD-11K or TD-11KV level. The secret I discovered is that if you start with a TD-11K or TD-KV, and find good deals on used higher-end drums and cymbals, you can get a really awesome kit that ends up costing less than a TD-15K.
The components of the kit include: The TD-11 module, a rack, kick, hi-hat, snare, three toms, two crashes and a ride. To read about the TD-11 module, read my article here, or go to Roland's Product Page. The following sections will cover each one of these elements.

The Rack

When I got the TD-11K kit, it came with a MDS-4V rack. The rack is a perfect size for my studio, it's compact and looks good. The clamps and brackets are reliable and easy to use, but I am not sure if they would withstand continuous tear-down and setup if I were playing gigs. My only real complaint is the cymbal mounts. They do not have a joint at the cymbal, so they are difficult to get into a usable position. I find they are too close, so I end up having the lower section angled away from the kit, which looks strange, and throws off the angles of the cymbals. Lucky for me I already own a DW 3700 boom and 3710 straight cymbal stands, so two of my cymbals are mounted traditionally and are positioned well and do not suffer from the cross-talk triggering problems of having your cymbals attached to your rack. The only upgrade I would consider here is buying an MDY-12 cymbal mounts, but it's not really necessary at this point.

Kick Drum

My very first Roland V-Drum was a KD-9 Kick drum trigger. It has a cloth head, and is somewhere between a rubber pad and a mesh head. The one I have is well used, but it triggers well and feels good. I have a DW 3000 pedal that I love, although I do find it a tad bit on the "heavy" side. If I were to upgrade from the KD-9, I'd probably buy a KD-85 or a KD-120. The KD-85 is based on the PD-85 and is a newer design, but I am seeing the used prices of the KD-120 coming in at around the same price as a used KD-85. I am wondering if the extra 4" of diameter make the KD-120 a better drum.

Hi-Hat

My TD-11K kit came with a CY-5 and an FD-8 hi-hat controller. Right from day one, that had to go. I just never liked the disconnected feel and lack of adjustment. I immediately bought a used Roland VH-11 V-Hat and a DW 3500 Hi-Hat - and have never looked back. This is my favourite part of the drum kit, and it feels like a real hi-hat. It responds - it can sounds crisp, trashy, loose - it feels like a direct extension of my sticks and my foot.

Snare

I invested in a PD-105 10" Mesh-head drum when I first got into V-Drums. This has been my snare since day one. The TD-11K kit came with a PDX-8, which moved over to be floor tom. My only issue with the PD-105 is that it has a slight hot spot directly over the piezo sensor foam cone, but it's manageable by making adjustments to the pad settings in the module, and playing style. The only wish I have would be to upgrade to a larger snare, like the 12" Roland PD-125X, or to even experiment with putting triggers and some Remo Silent Stroke mesh heads into a real 13" piccolo snare. If I did this, I'd move my PD-105 over to the Floor tom position.

Toms

The TD-11K kit came with three PD-8A rubber tom pads. Let's just say - they are not much of an upgrade from the rubber rectangles on the SPD-30 Octapad. They have good sensitivity and response, but no rim triggering - and lets face it - they are rubber. They just dont feel good. The PDX-8 that was originally the snare in the TD-11K was moved over to be a floor tom, and just recently I obtained another PDX-8 and a PD-85 for a great price - which has changed my setup to a PD-85 for TOM1 (8" mesh head/8"rim) and PDX-8(8"Mesh head/10"rim) for TOM2 and TOM3(Floor Tom). Other than the larger rim and ugly plastic bezel on the PDX-8, the biggest difference between the two drums is that the PD-85 in center triggered (like the PD-105 and all of Roland's higher-end drums), but the PDX-8 is edge triggered. This means that the PDX-8 lacks that center hot-spot, but it just doesn't seem as dynamic as the PD-85 or PD-105. The PD-85 has a downside in that it seems to trigger the rim to easily. I am still indecisive on which one I like better.
If I were to make changes or upgrades to this setup, I'd either move to using PDX-8's for TOM1 and TOM2, and my PD-105 as TOM3, along with a snare upgrade; or, get a PD-85 for TOM2, and have only one PDX-8 for TOM3; or just get rid of the PDX-8's altogether and go PD-85's, PD-105 and a new snare.

Crash and Ride Cymbals

When I started out on this new kit setup I had my old trusty CY-13R 3-zone ride and a bunch of CY-8s. The CY-8 is a good size (12") and triggers nicely, but the problem with the CY-8 is that it just isn't balanced like a real cymbal and doesn't feel heavy enough or swing like you would expect. I managed to get a brand new CY-14C 2-zone Crash on sale, and this IS what I expect an eCrash to feel like. It swings right and it feels heavy. I recently obtained an older CY-12R/C 3-zone from Ebay, and since I don't play the ride as much, I moved my CY-13R over to CRASH1, with the CY-14C as CRASH2, and the CY-12R/C as the ride. The bell triggers very well, and the 12"size sits very nicely just above and between TOM2 and TOM3. At this point, unless I upgrade to a TD-15 and get another trigger input to add a third crash, I really don't see any point in upgrading. These are great cymbals.


Comments