Mesa/Boogie Mini Rectifier

Decision made. I tested out the 5150 III 50w head and the Mini Rectifier - and it was a pretty easy decision. This amp is pretty much everything I could ever dream of. Beyond the following three sections, there is one thing to note - this amp does not feel like a commodity product. Everything about this amp feels like I own a handcrafted product. Just like my guitars, this amp is like a piece of art. I find satisfaction in just admiring the construction and design of it.
So here is my review of the Mesa/Boogie Mini Rectifier.

Technical

The Mini Rectifier is not a marketing ploy using the "look" of a Rectifier. This is a really well engineered amplifier that deserves to wear the Rectifier name. It is powered by a pair of EL-84 tubes delivering 25 watts, and using Mesa's Multi-watt™ power, re-wires the EL-84's from Pentode to Triode delivering 10 watts. The preamp employs five 12AX7 tubes.
Using channel one, two 12AX7 tubes are used. Channel two adds a third tube for a tone control driver. The fourth tube is a phase splitter/driver, and the fifth tube is in charge of the effects loop.  There are two outputs rated at 8 ohms and 4 ohms. The case is steel, and even though the amp itself is really small - it is really heavy! I think the only plastic in this amp is the circuit board, some of the components on it, and the fuse holder and power connector on the rear. You could probably hit this amp with a pickup truck and not do any structural damage. The padded bag it comes with is really nice - not just a throw-in for the marketing department, I'd even use it as a small duffle bag. The channels can be selected from the front, or with the supplied footswitch and cable.

Controls

The controls are laid out very well, and you have a massive amount of versatility at your disposal. Each channel has a voicing switch - channel one has clean/pushed, and channel two has a vintage/modern switch. The effects loop can be completely bypassed from a switch on the rear, completely eliminating any external influence on putting the preamp directly out to the speakers. There are two channels, each with Gain, Treble, Midrange, Bass, Presence and Master knobs. The tone controls are beyond any amp I've tried. Most of the time, I find tone knobs are best at 10, and then dial back what seems to be to hot - drop the mids to get a scooped sound, drop the treble if it's too bright. This amp works best if you set everything at noon, and go from there. It seems to work more like a mixer channel EQ - like every knob is a +/- 15db, and you can add or remove flavour when needed. Running any of the voicings with the EQ all set at noon will always output a perfect sound. Each channel also has a 25w/10w watt switch to change that section from pentode to triode operation. I only have one complaint, - under nearly any lighting condition, it is almost impossible to see the little dot on the knobs. I think I'll probably end up replacing them with the black knobs found on the Express series, that has the white dot marker.

Sound

First of all don't let the size or power rating fool you. This amp is LOUD. Compared to my Egnater Tweaker rated at 15 watts, this amp in triode (10w) mode seems twice as loud. In my basement studio, I have yet to turn this amp past 4, even on the clean channel. The manual - which is one of the greatest manuals I've ever read (Thanks Randall Smith for your insightful articles) - has a great explanation of how to get different sounds, and a good set of presets to use as starting points to dial in your tone.

Channel 1 - Clean

Don't let the packaging and reputation of the Rectifier amps fool you. The cleans you get on this are amazing. Playing jazz on my Gretsch sounds smooth, with a crisp tube bite to it. Running in 10w, you can get a perfect amount of break-up on the pick attack.

Channel 1 - Pushed

This mode takes the clean channel a step further. It's like an extension of the gain knob on the clean voice mode. This mode is great for light gain rhythm tones, and has a tremendous amount of versatility. I find that the tonal differences between triode and pentode are not really recognizable on channel one, unless you turn the master up to 4 or higher to get some power tube drive. With the gain below 5, and the master up high running in triode, you can get some incredible blues tones.

Channel 2 - Vintage

This is awesome for classic Rock tones. Running channel two in Triode is very dark and punchy, and reminds me of a cranked Marshall JCM. In Pentode, it sounds like a Mesa/Boogie Caliber and has amazing chunky tone. This mode has great sensitivity when rolling back the volume on your guitar.
Even with the gain set very high (6-7), the signal is extremely quiet, no hum or buzz at all - you almost wonder if the amp is on.

Channel 2 - Modern

Holy S#$%! This is crazy. Set the gain at 6, the tone flat, at the master at 2 in Pentode, and this amp will tear your head off. Playing this with my ESP you get the ultimate metal tone.  Roll back the mids to about 2 and you got Kirk Hammett's tone. I find it very difficult to get this amp at a quieter playing volume in Pentode mode, the power is almost uncontrollable and loads of fun. Triode mode is really dark.

Comparisons

I compared this amp against a number of other amps in a similar price range. My criteria is to get a high-gain 2-channel tube amp head, with an effects loop with lower power output suitable for a studio or jam sessions. 
Orange Dual Terror
I like the tone, but in short, , it's not for me.

Orange TH30

I checked out the Orange Dual Terror a year ago and I found the amp sounded really good but was very limited in control and without an effects loop it's just not for me. The case looks like cheap science lab test equipment too. With the TH30 you have an amp that looks gorgeous, and once again, I really like the Orange tone. and it has an effects loop - but limited controls, and limited tone. It just doesn't compare to the Rectifier.

Hughes & Kettner Tube Meister 18

This amp has loads of features, I like the power-soak and RedBox D.I., but the tone just isn't there for me. I like the plexiglass and blue LED lights, but the construction of the amp is just crap. It looks like a plastic toy.

Mesa/Boogie Trans-Atlantic TA-30

I disqualified the TA-15 because it doesn't have an effects loop. The TA-30 sounds great, but it cost an extra $400 and to me it just didn't have the sound I wanted that was available on the Mini Rectifier. This would probably be my choice if I were more biased towards lower-gain bluesy, tweed tone and wanted an onboard spring reverb.

EVH 5150III 50W Head

This was my second choice. Lots of controls, three channels, headphone jack. Seven preamp tubes!! This head has everything.... except two things. If you drive this up to extreme high gain, like the Mini Rectifier's modern voicing - it is very noisy. The second thing was - this is an EVH amp. I know Eddie's tone has changed over the years, but I expected to get a good "brown sound" out of this. No deal. My Wampler Pinnacle pedal does a better job. It's a great amp - It blows any Marshall out of the water, but lacks refinement. 

For me, The Mesa/Boogie Mini Rectifier is the best $1000 I have ever spent on a guitar amp.


Comments

Unknown said…
Jeff,
Nice setup! I've really been contemplating getting a Mini Rectifier for the same reasons as you and since you love tweaking setups my only hold is this: I want to be able to do silent playing via headphone amp for late night sessions. I have several high-end tube headphone amps. I was wondering having you ever tried taking the FX send of the Mini into a headphone amp device and seeing how it sounds? I'm hoping with very high end tube amps and headphones which i have several of, it would retain most of it's sound characteristics without waking up the neighborhood.